I decided that for my project spanning the next week or two would have to be about my new garden. I am sorry but this is my first garden and I am VERY excited. I cannot wait to be able to eat food that I planted and grew myself. I do realize that my goals are set very high and i probably won't get as much as i am hoping for... but that's okay.
Now the first step should be building your raised bed frame and then getting the dirt to fill it. The nursery we ordered our dirt from showed up two days early! (I'm guessing because we are supposed to get snow the day they dropped it off) With this in mind, I have to get my bed built AND put in the dirt BEFORE it snows.... and the race is on.
Picture
Step one: should be build your frame and then hope the dirt guys will back up far enough and dump most of the dirt into your raised bed.. but apparently for me this is not the case... either way get your dirt!

*Make sure you call ahead and get quotes as well as dates when they will drop off. One place we called was dropping off in 2-3 weeks for $180 and another would drop off the same week we called (ended up being sooner) for $190... that 2 week difference was worth the $10 in my book.

Picture
Step two: if necessary call reinforcements!! I had to get this bed knocked out and filled ASAP, plus i had no clue what i was doing! (This is where I would like to take the time to thank my grandma, grandpa and boyfriends mom Barb)

Step three: gather your raised bed boards and cut them to the size you want or need. My sizes are 10' X 6' 5" (don't ask why its not just 6' because i have no clue)

Picture
Step four: haul the boards around the garage and place them where you want for assembly.

Picture
Step five: This step may not be applicable to you but my boards were in two 10' sections so i had to attach them together. My grandpa put in the first screw to show me how to properly do it. As stated before, I haven't done this and using the power drill for something besides hanging a picture was a bit intimidating, but i did the rest of them myself.

PictureMe using a power drill!!
Step six: stand up the bed walls and attach the corners. For this i used brackets from my grandpas old deck we tore up last summer. Luckily he keeps EVERYTHING because even the small boards we used in the picture above were deck boards. (Did i mention how awesome he is??!!)

Picture
Step seven: lay down and attach landscaping cloth, we used Tyvek because we didn't have anything else and like I said before this was all thrown together in one day. Thanks for doing the cloth grandma!! once that is done you can add your compost (as pictured)

Picture
Step eight: Fill the bed with your dirt! I STRONGLY suggest using a wheelbarrow. Ours had a flat tire and i thought Chris said he inflated it for me but I guess he didn't and I used it... once. After that i used a 5 gallon bucket... to fill the WHOLE thing. i got this far and got tired, but Chris has gotten a new wheel for the barrow (lol) so tomorrow if it's not snowing maybe i can finish filling up the garden!

Comments

Vince Mutchler
03/23/2016 5:55pm

Would you like some compost (chicken & rabbit poop) for your garden?

Crafty by Nature
03/26/2016 1:21pm

For next year sure! I already started planting a few things. I am trying to convince Chris to have us get a couple chickens.

Julie
03/23/2016 5:58pm

Now start planting! You can get kale, chard, broccoli,and peas going. Since the bed is fairly wide, you might want to plan for some rows to walk through so you're only compacting certain areas of soil.

Crafty by Nature
03/26/2016 1:22pm

I did that today! sadly i do not have broccoli... but oh well

sheena
03/31/2016 6:44pm

Looks terrific! Awesome job.

10/25/2016 4:37am

Mattress comparison done properly can help to ensure that you are getting the best mattress for your money and individual sleep needs. If you read mattress comparisons that have been written by industry professionals and unbiased consumers, you can discover what type, brand, and model of sleep system is the right one for you.

12/15/2016 7:12am

You are really doing great work to grow beautiful garden at their home but it require some technique to make a good garden. I read your story which really inspired me much to do this work but I am excited to read this amazing info at this page.

03/16/2017 5:08am

I think I can deal with it by myself. It looks easy. Well done!

04/09/2017 4:41am

There are a number of low cost lawn service advertising ideas that work, however many people are not even aware that they exist. While these options are inexpensive, that does not mean that they are ineffective. The key to all of these techniques allowing your customers to do the advertising for you.

04/27/2017 4:10am

If you are wondering how you can properly decorate your home, the first thing that you need to look into first is the space that your home has to know what kinds of furnishings it can accommodate. Needless to say, the only way that you can maximize your limited space is to use not so large furniture. In choosing the furniture for your small room, you had better consider having a single sofa bed. Single sofa beds are made and designed especially to take advantage of every space available in a small room.